Social Events - Winter 2018-19 Newsletter
We hope you enjoyed our summer season programme of social events. Here is our winter programme and we hope you will be able to come along to many of the events. If you cannot get into the Club House to sign up for an event or to buy a ticket, please contact Stuart on 01737 355865. The Club House is always open on Monday mornings 10.30-12.30 during the Craft session.
- Friday 14 December 2018 – Christmas Party – 7pm for 7.30pm - a fun evening is planned. Kicking off with carol singing followed by the thespian event of the year – the annual pantomime!! This year Barbara Belcher has written ‘Cinderella’. There will be a bar with lots of Christmas spirit and light refreshments will be served. This event really puts the ‘amateur’ back into Amateur Dramatics. If you interested in taking part or helping please contact Stuart.
- Thursday, 24th January, 2019 - Clandon Park: the fire and the future - 2.30pm - On 29 April 2015, a devastating fire broke out at Clandon. During this talk the speaker will delve into the salvage phase. She’ll focus on the important discoveries made about the structure of the house, the detailed construction surveys, the important decision to restore this significant local and national treasure, and the design competition to find the architect that will bring Clandon Park back to life. The talk will be followed by tea and cakes - the cost will be £5 payable on the day. There will be a sign up sheet in the Club House or you can let me know direct
- Saturday 23 February 2019 - Indoor Fun Evening - 7pm for 7.30pm – this has proved a real success in previous years with teams competing in skill and sporting events or showing their general knowledge in specially designed tests. A bar will help the evening flow and there will be light refreshments to keep you going as you compete for prizes.
- Friday 29 March 2019 - Quiz Night - 7pm for 7.30pm – the popular quiz night returns.
- Saturday 13 April 2019 -Coffee Morning – 10.00am - this has been a very successful event over the last few years and we will be building on that success with a wide range of things to buy and the opportunity to meet friends again before the new season kicks off. This is an opportunity for potential new members to come along and meet us and, if conditions are good enough, have a go on the green. Please bring friends and neighbours to see what we are about.
In addition to these events there are a wide range of regular events in the clubhouse. There is no need to book in advance - just turn up. They are great fun and provide both mental and physical exercise.
Table Tennis: is played on Mondays (from 1 October) in two sessions (except the 2nd Monday of each month)
- 5 - 7.30pm (Gloria Corp 01737 370826 & Jenny Bradbury 01737 352344) – full at the moment.
- 7.30pm onwards. (George Seaborn 01737 360775)
and Wednesdays at 7.30pm. (Mick Goodson 01737 210965)
Crafts and Chat – is held all year, every Monday from 10.30am to 12.30pm. (Gloria Corp 01737 370826 and Carol Rowell 01737 370633). Come along and pursue your own craft in the company of friends or learn a new craft from others. Or just come along and chat!
Darts – is held every Thursday at 7.30pm. – from 4 October (Brian Bilham 01737 359075)
Whist Drives – we hope to hold these on the second Monday of every month (from 8th October) play commences at 7pm.
The Fish & Chip Supper is held all year on the first Friday of the month. Please let us know by the Thursday if you are coming to Fish & Chips (Gloria Corp 01737 370826 & Jenny Bradbury 01737 352344). A great opportunity to keep up with Club friends and to make new ones – and save having to cook for yourself!
IMPORTANT - At our social events, we provide refreshments and need to understand whether any of the attendees have food allergies that we should be aware of. Could you please let me know, in writing, if this applies to you. I will keep a central record to help us help you avoid problems.
If you know someone who might be interested in joining the Club, please contact Bryce Corp – 01737 370826.
If you would like to help with the running any of our events, please contact me.
Chairman of Social Committee
The role of the Committee is to
o Provide a range of enjoyable social events and activities for Club members and their guests
o Raise money to help the Club provide facilities for its members
We all contribute to deciding the overall programme, and the planning and running of the individual events. If you have any ideas about what we can do in the future to improve your experience as a Club Member, please speak to any of us.